In this episode, Antonia and Andrew discuss a selection of articles from the August 17, 2022 issue of JBJS, along with an added dose of entertainment and pop culture. Listen at the gym, on your commute, or whenever your case is on hold!
Top of the Pile
- What’s New in Limb Lengthening and Deformity Correction, by Bafor et al.
- An Introduction to the Orthopaedic Diversity Leadership Consortium. Advancement of our Orthopaedic Leaders of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Through Networking, Strategy, and Innovation, by Taylor et al.
- The Table I Fallacy: P Values in Baseline Tables of Randomized Controlled Trials, by Pijls et al.
- Evidence-Based Orthopaedics
- In Patients with Displaced Type-II Distal Clavicle Fractures, Operative and Nonoperative Therapies Did Not Differ for Functional Outcomes at 1 Year, by Hall et al. (commentary by Chen)
- In Adults Aged <65 Years with Unstable Ankle Fractures, Fibular Nailing Did Not Differ from Open Reduction and Internal Fixation for Functional Outcome at 1 Year, by White et al. (commentary by Grimm)
- In Single-Bundle ACL Reconstruction Using Patellar Tendon Autograft, Knee Flexion Angle of 0° Versus 30° During Tibial ACL Graft Fixation Did Not Differ for KOOS Subscales, but Improved Activity Level, by Chalal (commentary by Marom)
- Geographic Access to High-Volume Care Providers and Survival in Patients with Bone Sarcomas. Nationwide Patterns in the United States, by Fujiwara et al.
- Aspirin May Be a Suitable Prophylaxis for Patients with a History of Venous Thromboembolism Undergoing Total Joint Arthroplasty, by Ludwick et al.
Your Case is On Hold
- Pain Catastrophizing Predicts Opioid and Health-Care Utilization After Orthopaedic Surgery. A Secondary Analysis of Trial Participants with Spine and Lower-Extremity Disorders, by Rhon et al.
- A Comparison of Revision Rates and Dislocation After Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty with 28, 32, and 36-mm Femoral Heads and Different Cup Sizes. An Analysis of 188,591 Primary Total Hip Arthroplasties, by Hoskins et al.
- The Role of Amputation and Myoelectric Prosthetic Fitting in Patients with Traumatic Brachial Plexus Injuries, by Cantwell et al.
- Long-Term Clinical Outcomes and Implant Survivorship of 151 Total Ankle Arthroplasties Using the HINTEGRA Prosthesis. A Minimum 10-Year Follow-up, by Yoon et al.
- In Situ-Forming Fibrin Gel Encapsulation of MSC-Exosomes for Partial-Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears in a Rabbit Model. Effectiveness Shown in Preventing Tear Progression and Promoting Healing, by Wang et al.
- Experiences of Canadian Female Orthopaedic Surgeons in the Workplace. Defining the Barriers to Gender Equity, by Hiemstra et al.
JBJS website: https://jbjs.org/issue.php
This episode is brought to you by JBJS Clinical Classroom.
- Basic Science
- Foot & Ankle
- Orthopaedic Essentials
- Sports Medicine